Local Host Picks
Municipal Carlos Dreyer Museum
Located in Calle Conde de Lemos 289, this museum exhibits samples of Inca and pre-Inca jewelry, textiles, pottery and stone sculptures, among others. It also has a complete stamp collection and documents dating from the Spanish founding of Puno.
Yavari Ship Museum
Built in 1862 England, the ship was brought to Peru in parts, crossing the Andes by mule to the highest navigable lake in the world, Lake Titicaca (12,500 ft/3810 meters), which was reassembled and released on December 25, 1870. On display are documents, photographs and machineries of the eighteenth century. Located at Avenida Lake Titicaca, Puno port.
Main Square, the Cathedral of Puno
It’s a building made entirely of stone with a very particular, distinctively mixed style. The facade of the cathedral is decorated with human figures, flowers, native charangos panti and sirens, carved by the Indians, which clearly contrasts with the main floor and the baroque dome. Its style is displayed in the steeples and towers, and a vast terrace. The interior of the cathedral is much simpler and austere. An altar made of marble houses images of Lord of Agony and the Virgin of the Remedies, while beautiful religious paintings belonging to Cusco adorn the side walls. Visits to the Cathedral can be made every day from 7:00 am to 12:00 pm and from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm, while Saturday is open until 7:00 pm.
The Church of San Juan Bautista
It’s a building that dates back over 200 years in the style of austere adobe. It was the temple of indigenous people, the homeless, marginalized and poor. It is home to the patron saint of Puno: the Virgin of Candelaria. The church has a facade of French Gothic style and was rebuilt in 1876, with three Gothic altars and numerous religious paintings inside. Every year during the month of February, the church is full of the faithful who attend festivities celebrating the Virgin of Candelaria, in the midst of colorful celebrations. The church of San Juan is located very close to the main square, opposite the park in Puno.